Head of Department
- Dr Philip Sewell - Design simulation and modelling, mechanics of materials, artificial intelligence and medical engineering.
- Christopher Benjamin - Problem Based Learning (PBL) as an alternative learning strategy.
- Professor Alan Breen - Musculoskeletal research.
- Franziska Conrad - Biomimetic product design.
- Professor Venky Dubey - Mechanism and robotics, biomedical engineering, tactile sensing, medical instrumentation, virtual reality and design of medical devices.
- Dr Mihai Dupac - Design simulation and modelling, nonlinear dynamics, mechanisms and mechanical vibrations, and biomechanics.
- Dr Bryce Dyer - The philosophy, design or performance analysis of technology used in elite sport.
- Dr Bob Eves - Creative design methods, design semiotics, aesthetics, and colour for design.
- Dr Nigel Garland - Sustainable technology
- Professor Mark Hadfield - Tribology and sustainable design
- Dr Roya Haratian - Human-robot Interaction
- Dr Tania Humphries-Smith - Design Education, including aspects of curriculum design and assessment, and feedback.
- Dr Clive Hunt - Education, particularly how student groups engage with learning and how strategy is implemented in historically dependent settings.
- Dr Zulfiqar Khan - Tribology, surface engineering, structural integrity, renewable technology and nano-coatings.
- Dr Mehran Koohgilani - Composite materials and neural networks
- Dr Diogo Montalvao - Senior Lecturer in Engineering
- Professor Siamak Noroozi - Biomedical engineering.
- Dr Sarah Palmer-Smith - Education, business and cultural issues. Expertise in aesthetics, CAD and visualisation.
- Tim Reynolds - Design and emotion.
- Theo Roe - Design that has ‘Brio’ (design that is alive with some aspect of truth, verity or art). All design has a physiognomy, an outward face. If inwardly design is insincere, its outward face bears witness to that.
- Dr Ben Thomas - Sustainable design and engineering, including sustainable materials, tribology, and marine structures.
- Russell Wade - Computer aided Design (CAD), 3D printing technologies and information technology
- Professor Ian Swain
- Gary Underwood - Prototyping, use of 3D printing in education.
- Nicholas Farwell - Engineering Design
- Richard Glithro