We recognise the importance of your personal privacy. This privacy notice sets out how we use and protect any information that you give us when you use our website. By using our website you consent to the collection of your personal information in accordance with this policy.
Processing personal data is regulated by the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA). Any information we ask you for via our website that could identify you will only be used in accordance with this privacy notice, any specific privacy notice we provide and the DPA. You can ask us for access to the information we hold about you - see Data Protection Act 1998 for more detail. We may change this policy by updating this page following a regular review - the last time we did that was 19 September 2014.
What information do we collect from our website?
Sometimes we need to ask you for information so that you can do things on or through our website – like registering for an event or applying for a course. The information we are likely to collect for these purposes includes your name, address, telephone number and email address, and can even include things like dietary requirements or qualifications. By supplying us with your information, you are consenting to us keeping it for a reasonable amount of time and using it for the purposes we outline below. If you do not consent to this, please do not supply us with your personal information.
When you visit our website, we collect information about you via cookies - small pieces of code that enables us to make sure the web page is displaying correctly. The information we gather through cookies includes things such as your physical location and your computer's IP address. We don't gather any personal identifying information using cookies.
None of the cookies we use give us access to your computer or your personal data, beyond the information you choose to share with us. The cookies we use help us to provide you with a better website, by monitoring which pages you find useful and which pages you don't.
Two types of cookies are used on this website:
- Session Cookies. These are temporary cookies, which only exist for the period you access the website (or more strictly, until you close the browser after accessing the website). Session cookies help the website remember what you chose on the previous page, therefore avoiding having to re-enter information.
- Persistent Cookies. These are cookies which remain on your device after you have visited our website. These cookies help us identify you as a unique visitor (by storing a randomly generated number).
The length of time a cookie will remain on your device will depend on the type of cookie.
We use Google Analytics cookies to see which pages are being looked at. This helps us analyse web data and improve our website - we only use this information for statistical analysis.
When you use our Course Search facility, we use a cookie that remembers which course you were looking at when you select 'Apply Online'. This then pre-selects that course on the application form to speed things up for you. This cookie expires after three hours. The BU online application system also automatically issues your computer with a cookie which enables the web page to display properly in your brower.
You can disable cookies by adjusting the settings on your internet browser. However, if you do so, some parts of our website might not work properly for you. To find out more, visit allaboutcookies.org.
What do we do with the information we gather?
Any personal information we gather will only be used in accordance with the DPA, this notice and for the purpose stated at the time we gather it. We never sell or lease your personal information to third parties without your permission. We never share your personal information with third parties without your permission, except where required to do so by law or in exceptional circumstances in accordance with the DPA. We may use data to analyse demographic and other statistical information about the popularity and effectiveness of our website, but we'll only disclose that information in aggregate form, so individual users cannot be identified.
How can I control my personal information?
You can control how and when we collect your personal information via our website in the following ways:
- When you are asked to fill in a form on the website, tick the box that indicates you do not want the information you supply to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes.
- If you've already agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you can change your mind by contacting us directly, altering your preferences or by selecting the 'unsubscribe' link at the bottom of any marketing emails we send you.
- If you think any of the information we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us and we will correct any information that is incorrect or incomplete.
Is my information secure?
We are committed to keeping your information secure, and we have physical, electronic and managerial procedures in place to safeguard the information we collect from you.
You should be aware of the following rules, however:
- When you email us, the possibility exists, however remote, that unauthorised people might be able to intercept your message. You should never use unsecure forms and email to send personal data such as financial information to us. If you are considering returning your form by email then please visit our returning forms webpage to find out more about how to encrypt your form before emailing it.
- When we transfer and receive personal data, we direct you to a web connection that uses SSL encryption (similar to that used for online banking). If you are in a secure part of our website, you'll see a padlock symbol in your address or status bar.
- Some of our forms allow you to ask questions about our products or services. These messages are not sent over an encrypted connection and the possibility exists, however remote, that unauthorised people may be able to intercept this information.
- We aren't responsible for the privacy of emails except those stored on our own servers.
There are steps you can take to protect your personal information while using our website and applications:
- Never leave your computer while you're logged into any of our applications
- Be aware that public Wi-Fi (wireless) internet connections and internet cafes could leave your data at risk
- You should decline any username or password recognition options presented to you
- You should always log out of any BU applications when you have finished and close theinternet browser after logging out. Simply diconnecting from the internet is no enough
- Never share your username and password with anyone or leave these details somewhere where others may be able to access them.
What about links to other websites?
Our website contains links to other websites. We don't have any control over the websites we link to, so we can't be held responsible for the protection and privacy of any information you provide on those websites. The websites we link to aren't governed by this privacy statement and you should look at their privacy statements to make sure you are happy with how they will handle your data before you submit any personal information. See our website terms and conditions for more information.