On this course you will usually be taught by a range of staff with relevant expertise and knowledge appropriate to the content of the unit. This will include senior academic staff and qualified professional practitioners. You will also benefit from regular guest lectures from industry.
- Strategic Management: Develop intellectual and professional skills needed for performing strategic analysis, choosing strategies and executing these strategies with desired results.
International Marketing Management: You'll gain a critical and systematic view of the major perspectives, theoretical approaches, principles and activities in international marketing management.
Organisational Leadership: You'll explore leadership theories and consider the nature of leadership, leadership versus management, power, politics and conflict, and various traditional and contemporary models and perspectives of leadership.
International Management: The unit is designed to enhance your cross-cultural awareness and competence, as well as your interpersonal, communicative and collaborative-working skills.
Option units (choose two)
- Operations Strategy: This unit allows you to explore issues of operations management within a strategic context and aims to develop your understanding of how operations strategies can be devised and implemented.
- Advanced Project Management: Learn how to identify both the potential weaknesses and strengths in the existing PM methods and knowledge, and be able to propose new success factors and competences which will improve the chance of future project success.
- Project: This unit provides you with the opportunity to conduct a business-related project, which will be of demonstrable benefit to an organisation (or society), in terms of its ability to perform effectively in the contemporary business environment.
- People Management & Development: This unit aims to provide a critical understanding of the main issues and themes in people resourcing and development.
- Entrepreneurship & Business Ventures: You'll discover how to become an effective entrepreneur by looking at business and personal skills needed to start a business and critical factors in the survival of start-ups and reasons for failure.
- Managing Innovation: You'll get the opportunity to develop skills in managing different context of innovation in the organisational environment.
- Principles of Consultancy: Those studying the unit will acquire a set of competencies related to knowledge transfer, managing client relationships and operating within specific regulatory and ethical frameworks and consulting cycles.
- Strategic Human Resource Management: The purpose of the unit is to provide knowledge and understanding of the strategic role of human resource management in organisations and provide a platform for critical evaluation of that role.
- Strategic Marketing Management: You'll develop skills in strategically managing the key elements of marketing, together with the ability to think critically about real world marketing scenarios and use market and other information to make informed decisions.
Please note that option units require minimum numbers in order to run and may only be available on a semester by semester basis. They may also change from year to year.
Programme specifications provide definitive records of the University's taught degrees in line with Quality Assurance Agency requirements. Every taught course leading to a BU Award has a programme specification which describes its aims, structure, content and learning outcomes, plus the teaching, learning and assessment methods used.
Download the programme specification for BA (Hons) Business & Management (Top-up).
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the programme specification, the information is liable to change to take advantage of exciting new approaches to teaching and learning as well as developments in industry. If you have been unable to locate the programme specification for the course you are interested in, it will be available as soon as the latest version is ready. Alternatively please contact us for assistance.
Background and experience
For this course we are looking for applicants who:
- Possess excellent organisation skills and can manage their time effectively
- Are keen to develop a further appreciation of business and management theories and practice
- Have some experience of applying theory in practice
- Have an awareness of the international business environment
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment to their studies and to gaining a full Honours degree.
This course offers the opportunity for those wishing to return to education and build upon previous study to gain an Honours degree. We encourage applications from those who have relevant work experience and would like to enhance their career prospects. It may also be relevant for international students who would like to proceed to a Masters course. We also welcome applications from those who have studied an HND or FdA in other institutions (either by attendance or distance/online learning) who would like to further their learning with BU.
We are looking for students with enthusiasm to further develop their skills and knowledge, this is a demanding course therefore students will need to show dedication to the course. Applications are considered on individual merit, previous and current work experience (paid employment or voluntary) is also considered alongside academic qualifications. You will need confidence and commitment to study in an entirely online environment this includes interacting with academic staff and students using discussion boards, completing online tests and submitting assignments.
The entry requirements for this Top-up degree are the successful completion of a HND or a Foundation degree in a related subject area or equivalent. A mix of academic qualifications and work experience in a business related field will also be considered.
Overseas equivalent qualifications are also considered.
All applications are considered individually. If your application suggests you do not have the relevant qualifications and skills for this top-up degree but could enter the course at a different level, we will advise you of this during the application process
If there’s anything in here that isn’t clear, or we don’t answer your questions, get in touch with the askBU Enquiry Service.
Full entry requirements
The entry requirements for this Top-up degree are the successful completion of a HND or a Foundation degree in a related subject area or equivalent. A mix of academic qualifications and work experience in a business related field will also be considered. Overseas equivalent qualifications are also considered, please see the International students tab for further details. All applications are considered individually. If your application suggests you do not have the relevant qualifications and skills for this top-up degree but could enter the course at a different level, we will advise you of this during the application process.
If you have any questions about the course and would like to speak to someone in person, please contact askBU who will be happy to organise an informal chat with a member of academic staff for you.
GCSEs: This course requires a minimum of 5 GCSEs grades A* to C, including Maths and English or appropriate Functional Skills Level 2 or equivalent.
Numeracy and literacy: We need to be sure that you can express yourself in written English and have basic numeracy skills. We look at Level 2 of the National Qualifications Framework, which includes GCSEs, Key Skills and Functional Skills Level 2. If you do not have formal qualifications to this level or have alternatives, we may still be able to consider your application, please contact the askBU Enquiry Service to find out more.
We have outlined below other qualifications that we consider for this course. If you are studying a qualification that is not listed, please contact our askBU Enquiry Service, it may be that we can still consider it.
Cambridge Pre-U Diploma: We welcome applicants studying the Cambridge Pre-U Diploma or a combination of Pre-U subjects and A-levels.
Scottish Qualifications: Scottish Advanced Highers, Scottish Highers and other Scottish qualifications are all welcomed and are considered on an individual basis.
Welsh Baccalaureate: The Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma is welcomed alongside A-levels or equivalent, to meet the overall course tariff.
International entry requirements
If English is not your first language, you will need to provide evidence that you can understand English to a satisfactory level. English language requirements for this course are normally:
- IELTS (Academic) 6.0 with minimum 5.5 in each component, or equivalent.
View further information about our English language requirements.
If you do not meet the English language requirement for your degree then why not join our Pre-Sessional English course. Successful completion of our Pre-Sessional English course will meet your English language requirement, without the need to re-take IELTS.
Academic entry requirements
You can find details of the international qualifications we accept, and what level of study they apply to, on our entry requirements for non-UK students' page.
This course will give you the chance to develop and hone your business management skills, building on your existing understanding of business and management, while helping you understand the subject in the international context of today's corporate environment.
Our International Business and Management graduates perform well once they enter the world of work, thanks to the focus on practical skills as well as business theory. Within six months of completing their course, 93.3% of our students are in work or further study. They work for a wide range of national and international organisations, including BA Systems, British Army, JP Morgan Chase Bank, IMI Webber, Kuehne + Nagel, Nationwide Building Society and Travelex, among others.
You'll be ready to take on a variety of roles when you graduate, and will have the skills you need to progress your career. Our alumni are in jobs such as:
- Account manager
- Duty manager
- Export sales executive
- Global sales manager.
Industries worked in
Once you have completed an undergraduate Honours degree, you can further develop your education by studying for a postgraduate degree. Please visit our postgraduate section for further details about our range of Master's degrees.
*All statistics shown are taken from Unistats, Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE), BU institutional data and Ipsos MORI (National Student Survey) unless otherwise stated.