Our undergraduate degrees aim to provide the tools to gather, use and evaluate information, so that you can create and share subject-specific knowledge and make effective, evidence-based decisions in relevant professional contexts.
We offer the following degrees within the Department of Tourism & Hospitality:
- BA (Hons) International Hospitality Management
- BA (Hons) Tourism Management
- BA (Hons) International Hospitality & Tourism Management (Top-up)
A blend of lectures, small-group seminars, field trips, live projects and simulations, and online resources (blogs, discussion forums, etc) are used to introduce new ideas and to assist you in applying these to real-world contexts. Your learning and performance is assessed through a variety of methods, including essays and business reports, in-class tests and end-of-unit exams, group projects and presentations, individual portfolios, and a dissertation. Seminar discussions and directed learning activities are designed to promote timely engagement with assessment tasks.
All of our undergraduate students complete a year-long industry placement. The knowledge and skills developed on placement and the opportunities for learning from and networking with professionals are known to enhance your performance, results and employment prospects.
Our programmes also include the option to study overseas with one of our 40 partner institutions, as part of a student exchange. This enables you to experience new cultures, learn about different ways of working and explore incredible places as part of your journey with BU. This not only gives you the chance to experience a new culture, but also to develop employability skills and enhance your career prospects through a range of networks and contacts around the globe.
10 reasons to study one of our undergraduate degrees
- Engage in tourism and hospitality as fast-growing industries
- Learn cutting-edge knowledge from world-leading academics
- Largest department of tourism and hospitality in the UK, with a large area of expertise
- Enjoy a relevant placement in an innovative organisation
- Boost your employability with relevant skills and knowledge
- Participate in conferences and industry events
- Join field trips to experience tourism and hospitality organisations and destinations
- Go global, with opportunities to study and work overseas as part of your degree
- BU is the first British university to be commended for the quality of its student learning opportunities by the QAA
- Study in a wonderful, safe seaside resort town that offers a tourism and hospitality laboratory and opportunities.
Tourism Management Institute recognition
The Tourism Management Institute (TMI) is the professional body for destination management practitioners, with members drawn from all levels of the private and public sectors: national, regional, sub regional and local. TMI seeks to support professional development within the sector, for potential entrants as well as existing practitioners.
Assessment and recognition by TMI means that students can be confident the course will provide them with knowledge, understanding, skills and experience which will fully prepare them for a career in tourism destination management.