Week One is when your course induction and enrolment takes place, so make sure you're all set to be in Bournemouth by then.
Week one starts for most courses on Monday 17 September 2018, and enrolment will take place up until Thursday 20 September as follows:
- Faculty of Health & Social Sciences: Monday 17 & Tuesday 18 September, 9am - 5pm, Lansdowne Campus
- Faculty of Management: Wednesday 19 September, 9am - 5pm - Talbot Campus
- Faculty of Media & Communication: Tuesday 18 September, 9am - 5pm - Talbot Campus
- Faculty of Science & Technology: Monday 17 September, 9am - 5pm - Talbot Campus
Note: Some courses start before 17 September, and you will need to be here to enrol earlier, as below:
- Common Professional Examination (CPE): Friday 31 August
- Legal Practice Course (LPC): Monday 3 September
- PG Certificate Education Practice (part-time): Thursday 13 September.
Please find all 2018/19 term dates online.
Your first session
Details of your first session will be included in your registration email, which will be sent from 20 August. This may be when you enrol on your course, or an introductory lecture as part of your induction. Either way, please attend your first session where you will be told what’s happening later in the week.
Organised by your faculty, your course induction includes introductory lectures and workshops as well as informal opportunities to get to know your course mates and faculty staff. Information about your induction table will be shared by your faculty at your first session, if not before.
Central enrolment session
Enrolment is the day you officially become a BU student and collect your student ID card - be prepared to have your photo taken!.
Your ID card acts as your library and print card, and also has your BU student number on it for use in exams, so make sure you keep it safe.
Enrolment sessions are held in the Sports Hall on the Talbot Campus. They are split by faculty so yours may be on a different day to the people you're living with, so please help by going to the right day for your course.
What to bring to enrolment
Your registration email will include details of exactly what you need to bring. You should expect to bring at least the following:
- Proof of your identity - a photo ID such as a passport or driving license
- Educational qualifications - original certificates for the qualifications required for your course e.g. BTEC, A-level, degree and/or IELTS results.
- Nursing & Midwifery students - you will need to bring your original DBS certificate.
We recommend you bring enough money to cover your expenses for the first few weeks. You should expect to receive any financial support you've applied for (e.g. a loan, grant, bursary, scholarship or sponsorship) after you have enrolled on your course - not the day you arrive - as we usually need to confirm you have joined BU before any funding is released. In some cases this can take up to two weeks - bank transfers may also take up to a week to process if you are setting up a UK bank account for the first time. Read our finance section for more information.
What's on in Week One
We've worked with our ResLifeBU, SportBU and Students' Union - SUBU - to put together lots of day and evening activities from the moment you arrive and throughout the start of term. Check out the What's On information online - and if you're in to the party scene head to the We Are Freshers' website.