Skip to main content

All you need to know about living in halls of residence

We hope that you're excited about living in halls – it's a great part of the university experience, but we know that there's a lot to think about when you're coming to university, no matter what level you’re studying at. The following information is designed to help you prepare for living in one of our halls of residence.

Do the rooms/flats have internet access?

All of our halls of residence include the cost of an internet connection in the rent and this is usually provided as a wireless service. You will be subject to a fair usage policy in relation to the internet services in your building and we cannot guarantee that high bandwidth activities can be supported.

What do you need to bring?

You don't need to bring loads with you, but there are a few important things that you should remember:

  • Bedding (sheets, duvet, duvet covers, pillows)
  • Towels and tea towels
  • Cups, plates and cutlery
  • Cooking utensils and saucepans – you may want to buy some of these things jointly with your new flatmates, to avoid duplication
  • Clothes, toiletries and personal items.

If you aren't able to bring all of these items with you or just don't want the hassle of transporting them, then don't worry, you can buy all you need and more from UniKitOut, a dedicated website where you can buy the essentials for the start of term and have everything delivered directly to your hall of residence. If you choose this convenient option then remember to claim your discount by quoting your unique code: BU17

What about contents insurance for my stuff?

Your contents. Covered.

Bournemouth University and its accommodation partners are working in partnership with Endsleigh, the No. 1 student insurance provider, to provide some cover for the contents inside your room. You don’t need to do anything to activate this cover, but it is important for you to check and ensure that you fully understand the protection provided and whether it is sufficient for your needs.

Visit Check Your Cover to:

  • Check your level of cover
  • Review key exclusions and limitations
  • Check your policy excess
  • Learn how to make a claim
  • Extend and personalise your cover to protect laptops, phones and other valuables

Endsleigh knows that life can grind to a halt without your possessions, so it is worth spending a few minutes to establish whether the things that matter to you most are protected both inside and outside your room. They are the only insurance provider recommended by NUS and have been shaping their products and services around their customers’ needs for over 50 years.

Developing products built for students, Endsleigh understands that protecting and replacing gadgets quickly is hugely important to students; that’s why they will replace any lost, stolen or unrepairable gadgets within 24 hours of your claim being approved. Their cover can protect gadgets, watches, bikes and musical instruments under one policy—giving you the flexibility to build your cover to protect the things that matter to you most.

To find out more, visit Check Your Cover

Is a TV licence required in halls of residence?

Getting a TV Licence

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. If you do any of the above without a valid licence, you risk prosecution and a maximum penalty of up to £1,000, plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay. You will also still have to buy a TV Licence if you need one.
To find out more, go to 

How can I buy a TV Licence?

There are lots of different ways to buy a TV Licence. Whether that's through weekly cash payments, using your nearest PayPoint outlet, spreading the cost with monthly, quarterly or yearly direct debit, credit/debit card or by post – just choose the one that suits you best.
For more information on the ways to pay, go to 

If I live in halls, won't I already be covered by a TV Licence?

Your room needs to be covered by its own licence if you're plugged in to watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or if you download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. If there are TVs in communal areas, check with your halls' manager to see if they're covered by a halls' licence.

What if I live in a shared house?

You'll probably only need one licence between you if you have a joint tenancy agreement for the whole house – this is the most common type of shared house arrangement. You might need your own licence if your accommodation is self-contained. That means you have exclusive access to washing facilities, or your own entrance to the property. You will also need your own licence if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your own room. If you're not sure, check our advice for tenants and lodgers. 

Won't my parents' licence cover me?

Your parents' licence will not cover you while you're away at uni unless you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries and not connected to the mains.

What if I'm not at uni for the summer?

If you're leaving your halls or rented accommodation and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV Licence if there's one at home. You can see our policy and apply for a refund online.

What if I don't need a licence?

If you don't need a TV Licence, you still need to let TV Licensing know.

Is car parking available at the halls of residence?

There is no car parking at any of our halls of residence, unless you are registered disabled in which case you can apply for a parking permit. However, there are secure bike shelters at each of the accommodation blocks.

Are there cleaners for the flats?

It will be your responsibility to clean your room while you are living in one of our halls of residence. Cleaning equipment will be provided to help you and your flatmates keep on top of the cleaning in your communal areas as well.

The team within each accommodation block will regularly inspect your flat and offer advice about how to keep on top of the cleaning.

What is the difference between the room types?

There are four different room types within our halls of residence, although you won't necessarily find examples of each in every hall. The room types are:

  • Standard room - These rooms are of a good specification and have all the furniture you'll need to be comfortable. The bed size may vary between building, although beds will normally be either a standard single or four-foot wide. 
  • Value room - These rooms are of a very similar specification to standard rooms, but may be a little smaller or an irregular shape and the beds will always be singles.
  • Premium room - These rooms may have a higher specification than standard rooms (such as improved light fittings, additional or better-quality furniture, different decor or a heated towel rail), they may be larger than most of the other rooms in the same building or may have a four-foot bed.
  • Studios - These are self-contained units, with their own ensuite bathroom and kitchenette, as well as a living area and bedroom. They are typically between 18 and 22 square metres, although some units are larger than this. Beds vary in size from single to full double.

Are you allowed to stick posters on the walls?

You are generally advised to avoid sticking or pinning posters or pictures on the walls of your room, as even Blu-Tack can damage the paintwork. Each bedroom has its own pinboard so that you can personalise your space.

Each hall of residence has its own policy relating to deposits and damage caused within the rooms or flats, and you will be provided with a copy of this when you move in.

Will there be someone onsite to provide advice and support?

There is a resident student welfare advisor in every hall of residence who is available to support and advise. You can contact them via email and arrange a suitable time to talk to them about any issues you are experiencing. The staff who manage our halls are also happy to provide you with assistance if you need it and will help if they can.

Is smoking allowed in the rooms/flats?

Smoking is not allowed inside any of the halls of residence and there may be a fine if you smoke in your room. Many of the halls have their own outdoor spaces, such as courtyards or gardens, where you can go to smoke if you want to.

How is excessive noise dealt with?

If a flatmate or neighbouring flat is playing loud music or making excessive noise, you should go and ask them to turn it down/be quieter. If they ignore your request, you can inform security who will insist that they lower the noise levels.

Please show consideration for your neighbours and if you are asked to turn your music down please do so without any arguments. Persistent offenders will be dealt with under their hall’s disciplinary procedure.

Are there single sex flats?

A certain number of flats in our halls of residence are for single sex occupancy. When you log into the online accommodation system, you will be able to see the ratio of male to female residents. You should choose a room in a flat that specifies all male or all female. 

Are parties allowed in the flats/houses?

You are welcome to have small gatherings in your flat or house, provided that you show consideration for other residents. As the majority of the halls of residence have big common rooms, it is advisable to book these spaces if you are expecting a large number of people to attend a party.

What is the drugs policy?

The university and all of our halls of residence take a zero-tolerance approach to the use, sharing or selling of illegal substances. If you are found with drugs, you will not only be dealt with under your hall’s disciplinary procedure, but also that of the university as a whole (which may affect your course) and will be reported to the police.

If you suspect any illegal activity, you should tell someone you feel comfortable talking to, whether that is one of the team at your hall of residence or one of your tutors at the university. Any reports will be kept in the strictest of confidence.

What about other anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour, including bullying, is totally unacceptable and you should speak to someone about any issues you have before things go too far. If you feel as though another student is bullying you, speak to them in the first instance, but do not hesitate to ask for support or advice from your resident welfare officer or another member of the accommodation staff.

Are guests allowed to stay in halls of residence?

You are allowed a guest in your room at your hall of residence, although not usually for more than a few nights in a row. Remember that you are responsible for your guest during this time, which includes any damage or problems they may cause.

For the BU-managed halls of residence (Cranborne House, Student Village and Dorchester House), you can have a guest for two nights in a row and not more than four nights in any one month. For all the other halls of residence, you should check the policy relating to guest stays with your reception staff. 

Guests will also not be allowed to enter the building without a resident, so make sure you come and go together.

Can you bring pets?

No. You cannot have any pets in your hall of residence. 

What laundry facilities are available in halls?

There are washing machines and tumble driers in each of the halls of residence, which are provided as communal launderette facilities. These are either coin or card operated and approximate costs are £2.50 for a wash and £1.50 to dry. Prices vary across the accommodation, so further specific information about where your laundry room is and how to pay for using the machines will be supplied upon your arrival. 

Can you move rooms or to a different hall after the start of term?

There is a transfer policy available to students in halls of residence. Speak to the staff in your building or contact the Residential Services team for details of how to apply to move rooms.

Are there prayer rooms in the halls of residence?

No, we don't have any prayer rooms in the halls of residence. However, we do have a prayer room on our Talbot Campus on the first floor of Talbot House within the Chaplaincy, and we have a prayer room on the ground floor of Bournemouth House on our Lansdowne Campus.