As well as accepting AS and A-levels, there are a range of qualifications we accept for entry on to our undergraduate courses. Specific entry requirements are listed on each individual course page.
For Bachelor’s degrees
As a general rule, we require a minimum of two A-levels (or equivalent) for entry onto a Bachelor’s degree. We consider applicants based on all the information you provide, including your personal statement, reference and any relevant experience you have. This means that you shouldn’t be deterred from applying if you don’t have all of the academic qualifications, but do have other relevant experience.
Other acceptable qualifications include (but not limited to):
- Access to HE Diploma - the subject may need to be relevant to the subject area you’re applying for. Offers may be subject and grade specific
- Advanced Diploma - the grades required will vary from course to course. You may need to have studied specific subjects within the diploma or as part of Additional/Specialist learning
- BTEC Qualifications (QCF) - we consider applicants with a BTEC Extended Diploma; also the BTEC Diploma, BTEC 90-credit Diploma and BTEC Subsidiary Diploma combined with other Level 3 qualifications (or a combination of BTEC qualifications) to meet the overall course tariff is acceptable
- Cambridge Pre-U Diploma
- Diploma in Foundation Studies in Art, Design and Media
- GCSEs - we may also take your GCSEs into consideration when assessing your application
- National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) - we consider applicants with Level 3 NVQs. You will also be required to present additional information to demonstrate that you meet the course entry criteria
- Scottish qualifications - applicants holding Scottish Advanced Highers, Scottish Highers and other Scottish qualifications that meet the course entry requirements are considered
- Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma - if you hold this qualification, you’ll be expected to have achieved the core in addition to two A-levels to meet the course entry requirements
- International Baccalaureate - the IB is welcome at BU, please note we do not accept equivalent UCAS tariff points for the IB. Please see the UCAS Tariff table (43.3kb)
- Apprenticeships - we recognise the transferrable knowledge and skills gained through apprenticeships and welcome applications from students with the Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship. Each application will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
For Foundation degrees
For entry onto a Foundation degree course, you’ll typically need to have a minimum of one A-level (or equivalent).
For Higher National Certificates/Diplomas
For entry onto a Higher National Certificate or Diploma, you’ll usually be required to have a minimum of one A-level (or equivalent) in a relevant subject.