We have specialist nutrition labs in Bournemouth house, which are home to state-of-the-art equipment to support practical teaching in nutrition, human physiology and food safety. You will also have access to a well-equipped food processing and development unit and simulation skills facilities, giving you the opportunity to learn and improve your competency-based skills in nutrition assessment.
Our nutrition labs feature:
- Soxhlet extractor - used to determine the fat content in food
- Kjeldahl digestion apparatus - for determining the nitrogen (protein) in food
- Bomb calorimeter - to allow you to measure the heat of combustion (calorific value) of food
- Fitmate calorimeter - used for indirect calorimetry, the results of which can help you formulate individual nutrition plans
- Microscopes - utilised for histology and microbiology
- NetWISP - nutrient analysis computer software
- Various models of food and an Eatwell plate tha can be used for education in food portion size/control
- Health promotion props, such as diabetic feed to visualise the effects of diabetes, and fat and muscle models
- Models (test tubes) of fats, salt, sugar and fibre - these are used to visually demonstrate the amounts in the foods that we consume and are primarily used in weight-loss programmes.