This is a guide to the normal entry requirements, assuming you’ve followed the American education system. An admissions tutor will study your application, so make sure you include your academic background and personal information when you apply.
Entry requirements vary depending on what sort of course you’re coming to BU to study.
- BU International College Foundation Certificates
You can undertake a Foundation Certificate before going on to an undergraduate course if you have successfully completed 12 years of schooling in the USA.
- Undergraduate courses
You can apply to study a Bachelor's degree from year one if you hold a High School Graduation Diploma with a minimum GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0, plus at least one of the following:
- SAT Reasoning tests
- SATR tests are accepted only on courses in which all subjects are considered. You will need a combined score between 1700 and 1800 (pre-March 2016) or between 1200 and 1300 (post-March 2016). The required score will vary according to the course applied for.
- American College Tests
- ACT tests are accepted only on courses in which all subjects are considered. You will need a combined score between 24 and 26, depending on the course applied for.
- SAT Subject tests
- SATS tests are required on courses which list required or relevant subjects. You will need 2 or 3 tests and the required score per subject will range between 575 and 625, depending on the course applied for. Additional tests such as SATR or ACT will support your application.
- Advanced Placement tests
- AP tests are required on courses which list required or relevant subjects. You will need 2 or 3 tests and the required score per subject will range between 3 and 5, depending on the course applied for. Additional tests such as SATR or ACT will support your application.
- Please note:
- Honours / elective classes in relevant or required subjects will support your application, as will an associate degree in a relevant subject with a minimum GPA of 2.5 out of 4.0.
- We have registered with the College Board to receive SAT and AP scores, although you are still welcome to send us your transcripts directly if you wish. To send your results through the College Board, you will need to select Bournemouth University's Designated Institution code, which is 7427.
- SAT Reasoning tests
- Postgraduate courses
You need to have a US Bachelor's (Honours) degree in a relevant subject and may need some relevant work experience, depending on the course.
- Research programmes
You need any postgraduate degree to be considered for a BU research programme.
You can find more information about English language requirements for entry to BU on our English language requirements page.
If you need help with your visa or want more information about the immigration process, you can find it on our immigration information page.