- Corporate Governance & Ethics: The objectives, principles and methods of Corporate Governance practice in different economic environments. You'll show how governance and ethics can support managerial decision-making, particularly for risk management.
- International Corporate Finance: The primary aims of this unit are to address the critical importance of the corporate finance function within an internationally diverse corporation and to provide a framework to assist corporate decision-makers in a complex, dynamic and inherently uncertain external environment.
- Corporate Stewardship: Gain a thorough understanding of the role of the company secretary in the effective administration of organisations. You'll be exposed to key issues in risk management.
- Research Project: An opportunity to complete a significant piece of self-managed research in area that interests you.
Programme specifications provide definitive records of the University's taught degrees in line with Quality Assurance Agency requirements. Every taught course leading to a BU Award has a programme specification which describes its aims, structure, content and learning outcomes, plus the teaching, learning and assessment methods used.
Download the programme specification for Corporate Governance.
Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the programme specification, the information is liable to change to take advantage of exciting new approaches to teaching and learning as well as developments in industry. If you have been unable to locate the programme specification for the course you are interested in, it will be available as soon as the latest version is ready. Alternatively please contact us for assistance.
Background and experience
For Corporate Governance we are looking for applicants who:
- Have an appreciation of corporate affairs
- Can provide details of relevant work experience
- Aspire to work within company secretarial, finance functions and senior management roles.
This course will suit people looking to move into an administrative, management role or aspiring to run their own business. Students will have a good understanding of all areas of business and will develop their knowledge using excellent research skills.
This course selects candidates by looking at their applications. There are no interviews or additional selection activities and therefore we suggest that you make your application stand out from the crowd.
Full entry requirements
Admissions with Credit (year two entry)
Applicants with ICSA (Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators) member status (associate or fellow) will be granted exemptions of up to 60 M level credits.
Applicants with CCAB (Consultative Committee of Accounting Bodies) member qualification or equivalent may also be granted exemptions of up to 60 M level credits.
Applicants holding other appropriate professional qualifications may be considered on an individual basis for exemptions of up to 60 M level credits.
These exemptions will normally only apply when the qualifications were obtained within 10 years prior to the start of the programme, or applicants can demonstrate they have undertaken continuing professional development since qualification.
- Applicants for whom English is not their first language must have IELTS (academic) 6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in writing and 5.5 in the other three components, or equivalent.
If you lack the formal academic qualifications needed to enter a postgraduate or post-experience degree, there are several alternative routes to follow - some based on experience. Contact the askBU Enquiry Service for more information.
We accept a wide range of international qualifications. To find out more about how your qualifications relate to those in the UK, take a look at the NARIC website. Your application will be processed by our dedicated International Admissions Team that is familiar with a wide range of international qualifications. We look at your entire application to see how you would benefit from the course, and how able you are to complete it successfully. You can also find clear advice about the entry requirements for a particular country on our country-specific pages.
In addition, we accept a range of recognised English Language qualifications for entry. These tests are amongst the language tests published and regularly updated by UK Border Agency for Tier 4 Student Visa purpose. Please contact our International Admissions Team if you are not sure if your English language qualification is accepted for entry by BU.
If you have alternative evidence of English language proficiency (e.g. you have a different English language qualification, you received the majority of your education through the medium of English, or you have a degree in English language/literature), please indicate this on your application form.
A number of pre-sessional English and preparatory programmes are offered through our partner institution, Bournemouth University International College, and will get you ready for study at BU at the appropriate level.
The majority of career opportunities will lie within the company secretarial and finance functions, but the programme will also be invaluable to any aspiring senior manager or for those running their own company.
Some of our Corporate Governance graduates are now undertaking roles such as:
- Finance Manager
- Financial Consultant
- Human Recourses Management
- Industrial Development Expert
- Management Associate.
Industries worked in
- Human Resources.
If you want to continue your studies after achieving your Masters, you can look into our range of doctoral programmes.
*The above are taken from Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) and BU institutional data.