The University Music Centre offers facilities for students and staff of BU, AUB and AECC.
Based in Talbot House which is located at the university’s Talbot Campus, you will find the Music Admin office (T103a) on the 1st floor alongside a number of general practice rooms, drums rooms and scholars' music spaces. The Student Hall on the ground floor is our weekly rehearsal venue whilst the acoustically engineered Kimmeridge Hall is the main performance space on campus. Both house excellent concert grand pianos.
What is available?
General music practice rooms
Practice rooms with pianos are available free of charge for all BU/AUB/AECC students and staff from 8:00am - 9:00pm seven days a week. For door codes please contact the Music Admin team.
Student hall grand piano
This is our recital space which is available outside BU timetabled bookings to students having lessons at higher grades. For availability and booking please contact the Music Admin team.
Band practice room (T101)
This room is available for hire for groups or ensembles of up to 5 people and is equipped with a drum kit, amp and piano. A charge is made for the use of the room, which is available to all BU/AUB/AECC students and staff during the evenings and weekends. Please follow the booking procedure below.
Available time slots
- Monday: 5.15pm-7.15pm & 7.45pm-9.45pm
- Tuesday: No bookings available
- Wednesday: 5.15pm-7.15pm & 7.45pm-9.45pm
- Thursday: 5pm-7pm
- Friday: 5.15pm-7.15pm & 7.45pm-9.45pm
- Saturday: 9.30am-11.30am: 12.00-2.00pm: 2.30pm-4.30pm
- Sunday: 9.30am-11.30am: 12.00-2.00pm: 2.30pm-4.30pm
Note: The following slots are available and the fee for each 2 hour slot is £11.00
How to make a booking
Email the music admin team and state the following:
- Time you would like to book
- Full name
- Mobile phone number.
- Await confirmation.
- Pay the hire fee at the Cash Office in Poole House
- A receipt will be issued allowing you to collect the room key from Poole House Reception immediately before your booking is due to commence.
- Collect the room key from Poole House no earlier than 10 minutes before your booking is due to commence and reception will retain your student/staff ID card as a deposit
- Enjoy your practice session
- Return the key to Poole House Reception no later than 15 minutes after your booking finishes.
Note: Under no circumstances must you pass the key directly to the next hirer.