If you want to start cycling to university or exploring the local area but you don't have a bike, BU Bike Scheme could be of interest to you. The scheme will not only save you a lot of money on your travel costs but it will also cut your carbon footprint and improve your fitness.
BU is working in partnership with Hope 2 Cycle to make cycling at BU more accessible to both students and staff. This fantastic initiative will enable you to give cycle commuting a try without the expense of buying a bike. Bikes can be loaned for a term or an entire academic year.
The cost of subscribing to the BU by Bike scheme is £25 per academic term, or £40 per academic year. A £30 deposit is required and will be fully refunded if your bike is returned on time and in good condition (see the terms and conditions - pdf 92kb).
By subscribing to the scheme you will receive the following benefits:
- Access to a fully refurbished bicycle for use while you are a student or member of staff at BU (Chartwells, SUBU or Interserve), and a D lock
- A regular free bike check for the period of use
- No labour costs to any repairs needed during your hire period - you will only have to pay for parts
- Support and advice from the Hope 2 Cycle team for the period of use
- Subsidised cost of a helmet and bike lights
- Subsidised flourescent jackets to support safety on the road.
This initiative is likely to be popular; in order to manage demand there will be a limited number of bikes available each week and the scheme will be operated on a first come, first served basis.
If you are interested in the scheme, please contact Hope 2 Cycle by calling 07530 968506 or popping into the Hope 2 Cycle shop, 878 Wimborne Road, Bournemouth, BH9 2DR. You will need to have your current BU student/staff card when you sign up.
For further information, please e-mail the Travel Plan Group.
For more fantastic cycling offers and updates about cycling at BU why not join the BU Bicycle Users Group.