We've put together these frequently asked questions to answer any queries that you might have about the 2018 BU Graduation ceremonies.
If you have any further questions, please contact AskBU.
- Early August: We will start sending out invites
- 11 October: Booking deadline - make sure you have booked before 11.59pm on this date, or you will not be able to attend
- 31 October: Deadline to order your gown - you need this to be able to cross the stage (extended deadline)
- 5 – 9 November: Graduation time! Find the date for your ceremony on our graduation ceremony dates page.
Plan your journey
On the day
When you arrive at the BIC make your way to the Solent Hall to collect your gown and have your professional photographs taken (if you have chosen to have them). Doors for guests will open 45 minutes before the ceremony, and doors for graduates open 30 minutes before the ceremony. Please make sure you have taken your seat at least 15 minutes before the ceremony starts.
Guest seating is only allocated by door number, graduate seating is via a different door and your course marshal will make sure you have the correct seat (they are allocated by course, alphabetically by surname).
After the ceremony you can meet your family, friends and lecturers in the Purbeck Hall for a glass of fizz and entertainment, this part of the day lasts for about an hour.
For more information about what to do, where to go, and how to make the most of your special day watch our short video - What to expect at BU graduation.
Times on the day - Morning ceremonies
- 7.30am – BIC doors open, gown collection and photographers available. Allow plenty of time before your ceremony for this.
- 9.15am – Doors open for guests of the morning ceremony
- 9.30am – Doors open for graduates of the morning ceremony
- 9.45am – Please make sure you’ve taken your seat!
- 10am – Morning ceremony starts
- 12pm – Morning ceremony ends (this is approximate and varies depending on the number of graduates)
- 12pm – Post ceremony reception for graduates and their guests for the morning ceremony
- 1.30pm – Post ceremony reception ends (approximate, this lasts for an hour and a half).
To find out when your ceremony will be taking place please check the Graduation ceremony dates page.
Times on the day - Afternoon ceremonies
If your ceremony is on Monday afternoon you can arrive from 12pm to collect your gown and have your photos taken. For other afternoon ceremonies you can arrive any time during the day.
- 1.45pm – Doors open for guests of the afternoon ceremony
- 2pm – Doors open for graduates of the afternoon ceremony
- 2.15pm – Please make sure you’ve taken your seat!
- 2.30pm – Afternoon ceremony starts
- 4.30pm – Afternoon ceremony ends (this is approximate and varies depending on the number of graduates)
- 4.30pm – Post ceremony reception for graduates and their guests for the afternoon ceremony
- 6pm – Post ceremony reception ends and BIC closes (approximate, this lasts for an hour and a half).
To find out when your ceremony will be taking place please check the Graduation ceremony dates page.
When will I receive my invite?
Invitations will be sent from early August, and will be sent by ceremony so don’t worry if you don’t receive yours on the first day. We will then send invites as exam boards are completed.
If your exam board takes place after this date you will receive your invitation prior to receiving your results, this is to give you time to register your intention to graduate on successful completion of your course. You have until midnight (11.59pm) on Thursday 11 October 2018 to book.
I’m worried I’ve not received my invite yet, what should I do?
As soon as your invitation has been sent you will be able to access the ‘My graduation’ tab in myHub, you can check this at any stage and once it is live you will be able to book.
If you think you should have received your invitation and can’t access the booking pages please contact AskBU (please include your 7 digit BU student reference number).
Booking for graduation closed at midnight (11.59pm) on Thursday 11 October 2018. Due to preparations for the ceremonies we can not accept requests to attend the ceremony after this date.
Important: Please make sure that your details are up to date especially your full name. It MUST match the name which is on your passport and cannot be changed after the Assessment Board has met and determined your final degree result. The only exception to this is if there is a spelling or administrative error in your name on your record or your middle name is not displayed on your record. In this instance please contact AskBU by midnight (11.59pm) on Thursday 11 October 2018. For further clarification please read the 3G Student Names: Policy and Procedure which can be found under the ‘Admissions’ section on the Important Information webpage.
How do I book?
Please book your ticket, and any guests tickets, via the ‘My graduation’ tab in myHub. The booking section will only be live once you’ve received your invitation.
I’m not coming, do I still need to book?
Yes please. Once you’ve done this we’ll know to send your certificate to you after the ceremonies, and you’ll stop receiving reminder emails.
I need to change or cancel my booking, how do I do this?
You can log back in to myHub at any point up until the booking deadline and change or cancel your booking. This includes confirming you will be attending if you’d previously said that you weren’t.
Is there a deadline to book?
Yes, please make sure you have booked by midnight (11.59pm) on Thursday 11 October 2018. If you miss this deadline then you will not be able to attend the graduation ceremony this year.
I’ve missed the booking deadline, what can I do?
Unfortunately, once the deadline of midnight on Thursday 11 October 2018 has passed, you will not be able to attend this year’s graduation ceremony. You can still request your certificate and this will be posted to you after the ceremonies.
I’m having trouble booking
Please make sure you contact AskBU before the booking deadline (please include your 7 digit BU student reference number). After this deadline you will not be able to book for graduation.
How do I get a student status letter?
If you need to apply for a visa to attend your graduation, either for yourself or family members, BU can provide a letter confirming your student status. You will need to complete the online letter request form. Please allow at least a week to receive this.
If you have any further queries please contact AskBU (please include your 7 digit BU student reference number).
Venue and dates
The dates for all ceremonies are available on our graduation pages.
Graduation takes place at the Bournemouth International Centre, Exeter Rd, Bournemouth BH2 5BH.
There is a pay & display car park at the venue but this can get very busy, a list of alternative public car parks can be found on the Bournemouth Council website. There are dedicated parking spaces for blue badge holders at the BIC, subject to availability.
Bournemouth International Centre does have a cloakroom facility, which costs £1.50 per item. For security reasons please do not bring large bags or cases to the venue. There will be an extra security presence at the BIC throughout graduation, and bags are subject to searches (including those left in the cloakroom).
Accessibility and special requirements
I have special requirements for my seat, how do I let you know?
You will be asked about this as part of your booking and we will allocate a suitable space for you in the halls with your fellow graduates. We may contact you ahead of the day to discuss in more detail.
A lift is available to access the stage, should you need it - please let us know when you book online.
My guests have specific requirements, do I need to tell you?
Yes please. When you book your tickets you’ll be asked if your guests have any special requirements. We will review these after the booking deadline in October and allocate suitable seating. We may contact you ahead of the day to discuss in more detail.
What arrangements can be made for people with additional requirements?
- Seating arrangements can be made to meet additional requirements. Student seating is located on the flat floor area in front of the stage. Guest seating is normally on the tiered area behind the students so it is important we know of any mobility issues to help us allocate seating.
- A lift is available to help you access the stage to receive your award, otherwise steps are used to get on and off the stage. If use of the lift is required please let us know when booking and we will contact you to confirm arrangements for the day.
- If you or your guests require the loan of a wheelchair for the day, your local British Red Cross may be able to assist you.
- Dedicated parking for holders of special permits and blue badges are available at the BIC, subject to availabilty.
- BSL interpreters are only available upon request. Please let us know when you book if you need BSL interpreters at the ceremony and if you or your guests need to be seated in clear sight of them.
- Induction loop system - The BIC is able to supply additional equipment to anyone who is deaf or hard of hearing in order to make use of their induction loop system. Please let us know when you book if you or your guests need to use this service.
- Assistance dogs are permitted at the BIC, but please let us know when booking if you or your guests will be bringing an assistance dog with you so we can allocate you suitable seating. Water for assistance dogs is available from the First Aid Room, located on the ground floor of the BIC.
- Please let us know when you book if you would like the Graduation Ceremony Programme to be made available in Braille.
How much are guest tickets?
Two guest tickets are guaranteed up until the booking deadline (Thursday 11 October 2018) and these are free. When you book to attend you’ll have the option to request and pay for additional tickets at a cost of £15 each. We will confirm if we can accommodate your request after the booking deadline has passed. If we aren’t able to accommodate your request we will automatically refund your ticket(s).
What’s the difference between guaranteed and requested tickets?
We have to manage guest numbers at the BIC and make sure everyone has an equal chance of having their guests with them on graduation day. To do this we can only guarantee two guest tickets per graduate, you can book these at any time up until the booking deadline and these are free.
We also give you the opportunity to request and pay for additional tickets and we’ll let you know if these are available after the booking deadline. If we aren’t able to accommodate your request we will automatically refund your ticket(s).
Can children come to the ceremony?
Your graduation ceremony could last up to two hours (this varies depending on the number of graduates attending) so we advise against bringing young children. If you need to bring children with you they will still need a ticket - tickets for children under 12 are free (when you book you’ll be asked to confirm the ages of any children attending).
The guest seating area is in a separate part of the hall from the graduates’ seating area so children will need to come with another guest to supervise them.
When will I receive my tickets?
Guest ticket allocation will be confirmed towards the end of October via email. You will receive your tickets via email just before your ceremony at the beginning of November.
If you are worried you haven't received them please contact AskBU (please include your 7 digit BU student reference number).
Where will my guests be sitting?
Your guest tickets will have a door number for one of the entrances to the Windsor Hall at the BIC. We ask that they use the correct door but once inside the hall they can sit anywhere - either as a group, or separately if they prefer.
The guest seating area is in a separate part of the hall from the graduates’ seating area.
What is the cancellation policy for guest tickets?
Please read the BU graduation ticketing terms and conditions for more information.
My guests can’t come, can they watch it online?
Yes, all ceremonies will be live streamed on the university website, they’ll also be available later in the week on our YouTube channel.
How do I hire my gown?
The gown order deadline has now passed, you are advised to turn up as early as possible on the day of your ceremony and speak to Ede and Ravenscroft in the Solent Hall at the BIC. Ede and Ravenscroft take a sufficient number of spare gowns to each ceremony and will be able to take payment for the gown on the day. Please be aware that this could lengthen your preparation time.
Do I have to wear a gown?
Yes, it’s important to wear the correct academic dress to your ceremony and you won’t be able to cross the stage without this.
Where do I get my gown from?
You can collect your gown from the Solent Hall at the Bournemouth International Centre, your gown will need to be returned to the Tregonwell Hall before you leave.
Is there a dress code for graduation?
Your clothes will still be visible under your gown so it is expected that everyone will dress formally for graduation. Some top tips from previous graduands include:
- Bring safety pins and hair grips to help secure your hat and hood
- Wearing a tie with a suit can help keep your hood secure
- High heels can make your walk across the stage – and down the steps on the other side – a little precarious!
I’ve forgotten to order my gown, what can I do?
Please contact Ede and Ravenscroft directly. They will advise you to turn up as early as possible on the day and this could lengthen your preparation time. You will need the information below:
- Hat size (circumference of your head taken just above your ears)
- Chest/bust measurements
- Date and time of your ceremony.
Telephone: +44 (0)1223 861 854
I would like to have professional photos taken, how do I do this?
You can see the options available and book photography via Ede & Ravenscroft. There are a number of package options you can purchase.
During graduation you will find the photographers in the Solent Hall at the BIC.
Do I have to have professional photos taken?
No, this is completely optional.
Can I take my own photos?
Yes, please do, but you and your guests will need to remain seated during the ceremony and we don't permit photos to be taken on the stage. Don’t forget to share your photos with us using #BUgraduation.
Will BU and others be filming and taking photos during graduation?
BU will be filming the graduation ceremonies. The film will be live-streamed through the BU website, and will later be available to view on YouTube. If you have any concerns about this, please contact email@example.com to discuss - however please note that we are unlikely to be able to guarantee your privacy, particularly with regard to the live-stream.
BU will also be taking photographs, and filming, throughout the day of all graduation ceremonies, and will be including some of these films and photographs in frequent social media posts. Please see here for our standard information about use of personal images recorded at BU events. However, due to the size and nature of the graduation event we are unlikely to be able to guarantee that we will not include particular individuals in photographs, film or social media on the day. Again, please contact us if you have any queries or concerns about this. We will take into account any concerns or objections you have in relation to future use of photographs in our marketing or publicity materials.
BU hoodies and gifts are available to order from the Students' Union at Bournemouth University (SUBU). Graduation hoodies - with graduate names - are also be available to pre-order. A selection of these will be available during graduation but we recommend pre-ordering to ensure you get your preferred size and colour. You will be asked if you are happy for your name to be included on SUBU merchandise (this includes hoodies) when you register for your ceremony.
How can I stay up to date with the latest graduation information?
SUBU graduation parties
Check out the celebratory graduation parties SUBU will be hosting at Old Fire Station throughout the week. You can book your tickets for these from the 1 September.