Skip to main content

Making an appeal

If you feel dissatisfied about an academic decision relating to your studies (e.g. feedback or marks) we would always encourage you to discuss any concerns with an appropriate member of your course team, as they may be able to resolve any concerns you have. In addition you can always contact SUBU Advice or AskBU Students’ Service for further advice.​

If you would like to make an appeal, or find out what your options are, there are separate appeals policies for taught awards (undergraduate and postgraduate taught courses) and for postgraduate research awards. For full copies of these visit the ‘Appeals’ section of the Important Information page. This will explain the different types of appeals and includes flowcharts of the various stages of the process.

More information

How do I make an appeal?

If you still wish to make an appeal, you will need to contact your Faculty’s Academic Administration Manager (AAM) in writing, enclosing any supporting evidence within working ten days of the publication date of your results, explaining to them why you are dissatisfied. This part of the process is known as appealing to the Local Stage. Appeals received after the deadline will not normally be considered.

What should I do if I am dissatisfied with the response?

If you are dissatisfied with the response from the Local Stage, you may submit your appeal for consideration by the Quality & Enhancement Officer (Academic Appeals and Complaints) within ten working days of the Local Stage response. This part of the process is known as appealing to the Central Stage. Appeals received after the deadline will not normally be considered.

If you remain dissatisfied with the response from the Central Stage, you may be able to request to have your case heard by an Appeals Board, unless all internal processes have been concluded and you have been issued with a Completion of Procedures letter. If your appeal goes to an Appeals Board then you will be expected to give evidence and explain your reasons for appealing the decision.

You can find full details in 11A – Academic Appeals: Policy and Procedure for Taught Awards and 11C Academic Appeals: Policy and Procedure for Research Awards.

What should I do if I want to appeal against the decision of the Assessment Board?

An academic appeal can only be considered on one or more the following grounds:

  1. there has been a material irregularity or significant administrative error in the assessment process
  2. the assessment was not conducted in accordance with the regulations for the programme
  3. a student’s performance in assessment has been affected by illness or other factors which, for valid reason(s), s/he was unable to divulge before the meeting of the Assessment Board
  4. there has been bias or the perception of bias in the assessment process / consideration of the Appeal.

However, you cannot appeal against the academic judgement of the examiners and if your appeal is in relation to your mitigating circumstances which you did not disclose at the relevant time and you do not have a valid reason for this, the University will not be able to consider your mitigating circumstances if you choose to make an appeal on these grounds.