The Emergency Loan is a short-term advance if your mainstream UK Government funding such as your student loan or NHS Bursary are late arriving. We can assist with day to day costs, but due to budgetary constraints cannot assist with rent or housing.
We usually expect repayment at the beginning of the spring (January) or summer terms (April/May), depending on application date, although this loan can be repaid earlier if you have the funds to do so.
Application forms can be obtained from AskBU.
Before we can consider any request:
- You must be formally enrolled on to a BU undergraduate course
- You must have UK fees status to ensure that your student loan will be paid
- You must be able to show that you have very little or no funds remaining (this would include money available in your overdraft)
- You must have evidence that you have applied for your student support. Once you have formally applied, you will generally be sent an acknowledgement
- You will need to provide us with your debit card details in order to recover the loan.
The Emergency Loan you are awarded is intended to last a 4 week period. If after 4 weeks, your student loan still hasn't been paid, you may apply for the Emergency Loan again.