BU is proud to be part of a global education community and we love to welcome students from other institutions and countries, allowing you to enjoy the experience of living and studying in the UK.
Semester of entry
For autumn exchange
Nominations: 30 April
Applications: 31 May
For spring exchange
Nominations: 30 September
Applications: 31 October
Different types of exchange
As well as being a member of the Erasmus+ programme we also have inter-institutional agreements with a number of other universities all over the world. If you’d like to arrange an exchange with BU, check with your Erasmus or other exchange coordinator at your home university about the opportunities available.
Please be aware that exchanges are normally only provided for specific courses that have been agreed between BU and your university.
There are some eligibility requirements for participating in an exchange:
- You need to have successfully completed your first year of study
- You need to be studying an appropriate subject for the degree you’d like to study on during your exchange
- You can go on your exchange in your second or final year of study
- You must be nominated for the exchange by your university
- You must have achieved the appropriate level of English (pdf 193kb) for the majority of Undergraduate Courses.
How and when to apply
Once you’ve confirmed that your university has an exchange agreement with BU, and if you meet the eligibility criteria, you can start the application process.
The first step is to ask your international exchange or Erasmus coordinator to nominate you by email to email@example.com.
The deadline for nominations are 30 April for an autumn start and by 30 September for a Spring start. Once we’ve acknowledged your nomination, you can start completing your application pack, which you can download below. Once your application pack is complete, your coordinator must submit it to us on your behalf. Please note that we do not accept applications direct from students. The deadlines for submission of completed applications are 31 May for an autumn start and 31 October for a spring start.
A complete application pack MUST include the following documents:
- BU Exchange Application Form
- Erasmus Learning Agreement (for Erasmus exchanges) or International Learning Agreement (for non Erasmus exchanges)
- Evidence of English proficiency, if applicable. Check the English Language requirements (pdf 193 kb).
- Photocopy of your transcript – this needs to be the latest available copy of your records to date, including a grading scale relevant to your country, in English
- Photocopy of your passport
How many credits can I achieve?
Under the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), you can achieve 60 credits for a year of full-time study at undergraduate level. At BU, this equates to 120 BU credits. This means one semester of study is the equivalent of 30 ECTS or 60 BU credits.
You’ll be expected to take a full workload of 30 ECTS for each semester that you’re at BU. The units that you study at Bournemouth University will need to be agreed by your home institution.