With our international expertise and a reputation for excellence in education, research and professional practice in tourism and hospitality, the department is home to one of the largest communities of postgraduate students in the world. Our postgraduate courses combine academic rigour with industry relevance, equipping you with knowledge of leading-edge concepts and issues, techniques and cases in tourism or hospitality management.
We offer the following taught postgraduate degrees:
- MSc Hotel and Food Services Management
- MSc International Hospitality and Tourism Management
- MSc Tourism Management
- MSc Tourism Management & Marketing
We seek to inspire and empower you to challenge current thinking and accepted practice in a critical and constructive manner. We give you the tools to gather, use and evaluate information, so that you can create and share subject-specific knowledge and make effective, evidence-based decisions in relevant professional contexts.
With the assistance and encouragement of enthusiastic, research-active and professionally-connected staff, you will develop into an informed and self-aware practitioner. You'll become capable of working in complex and unpredictable circumstances without losing sight of the ‘bigger picture’- namely your role and responsibilities in helping to improve value for all stakeholders. Issues of sustainability and responsibility, ethics and ethical decision-making, and global citizenship are embedded throughout the curriculum.
The course is informed by the published research of academic staff in the department - including the authors of some of the leading textbooks and most frequently cited journal articles in the field.
We adopt a truly international approach to our teaching and we encourage our students to share their experience. You will develop the professional and practical skills desired by employers - including communication, critical thinking and problem solving.
10 reasons to study one of our postgraduate degrees
- Learn cutting-edge knowledge derived from research by world-leading academics
- Largest department of tourism and hospitality in the UK, with large area of expertise
- Participate in cutting-edge research and knowledge generation
- Boost your employability with relevant skills and knowledge
- Participate in conferences and industry events
- Enjoy a relevant placement in an innovative organisation
- Join field trips to experience tourism and hospitality organisations and destinations
- Go global, with opportunities to study and work overseas as part of your degree
- BU is the first British university to be commended for the quality of its student learning opportunities by the QAA
- Study in a wonderful, safe seaside resort town that offers a tourism and hospitality laboratory and opportunities.