Summarised financial statement 2014/15
|Surplus for year||3.1|
|Surplus for year exc. pension adjustment||5.7|
Why does the University make an operating surplus?
- To ensure that the University has sufficient resources available to invest in physical assets
- The University recently opened the new £10m Student Centre on our Talbot Campus and a new £22m academic building also on our Talbot Campus is scheduled to open in May 2016
- The University is also planning to deliver two new striking gateway buildings in Poole and Bournemouth
- The University needs to ensure that there are adequate resources available to continue to invest in academic staff and the student experience
- The University needs to remain financially sustainable in the long term and has adequate finance available to achieve the vision and values.
Where has the income come from over the last five years?
|Funding body grants||45.4||40.3||30.1||22.3||14.6|
|Tuition fees and education contracts||58.7||62.2||74.9||88.3||102.1|
|Other operating income||13.4||11.0||11.8||14.2||14.7|
|Endowment and investment income||0.4||0.6||0.5||0.5||0.2|
Where did the income come from in 2014/15?
|Funding council grants||10.8%|
|Tuition fees and education contracts||75.5%|
|Other operating income||10.8%|
Where was the money spent over the last five years?
|Other operating expenses||50.6||50.9||49.7||51.2||53.0|
Where was the money spent in 2014/15?
|Running academic faculties||43.7%|
|Providing library, IT and academic services||12.7%|
|Administration and central running costs||5.8%|
|Providing student bursaries and scholarships||3.5%|
|General education expenditure||4.4%|
|Providing staff and student facilities||6.8%|
|Maintaining buildings and facilities||11.6%|
|Providing residences and catering||6.7%|
|Undertaking research activities||2.8%|
|Pension adjustment and subsidiaries||2.0%|
Running academic faculties expenditure split
|Academic Staff costs||61%|
|Other staff costs||11%|
General educational expenditure split
|Fair access and widening participation||12%|
|Fundraising and Alumni||7%|
|Marketing and student recruitment||62%|
|Overseas exhibition costs||8%|
|Administration and subscriptions||9%|