We often take photographs or films at events that we host, so that we can use them for marketing purposes. Images taken for official university use may be covered by the Data Protection Act 1998, so our policy is to advise students and visitors when and why their images are being taken at each event.
If you are attending one of our events (such as an Open Day) and you don't want your image to be used then you can simply opt out. Just let the photographer and a member of our staff know. That way we will instruct our photographer not to take any images of you. You are also advised to try to stay out of the shot, as you may appear in the background in error.
If you don't opt out then your image may be used (which could be a photograph or a moving film) in one or more of the following ways:
- Prospectuses and other university promotional materials
- As part of an advert or advertisement feature (which includes possible use on outdoor media such as buses and billboards)
- On our website, intranet, or the websites of our partners
- On CDs or DVDs we distribute as part of a marketing campaign
- In non-university publications which our marketing team have approved and authorised.